What Do Air Filters Do in a Car?
They help keep airborne contaminants from building up in your heater, air conditioner, and engine parts. In other words, they help keep these systems working properly.
If your vehicle didn't have them, pollutants would start to cause problems with several systems. For instance, without an engine air filter, they'd start to gunk up your air intake, fuel injectors, and even your spark plugs. Without a cabin air filter, they'd begin to line your HVAC ducts, pile up on your vents, and affect your fans.
To make matters worse, any filter can wear out or clog, and when it does, other issues follow. Luckily, there are symptoms you can keep an eye out for.
What are the Signs a Car Air Filter Needs Replacing?
- A lit Check Engine light on your dash
- A degraded, dirty, or congested filter
- Unclean smells in the cabin
- Abnormal engine noises, engine stress, and misfires
- Worsening fuel efficiency
- Increased exhaust emissions
- Heating and air conditioning malfunctions
To help prevent these problems, replace both air filters regularly.
When Should I Change the Air Filters in My Car?
Every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. But if you're seeing any of the symptoms listed, it's probably replacement time. You can buy new air filters from your brand online, right here at our auto parts store.
What Air Filters Fit My Car?
Your best bet is genuine OEM. Air filters made specifically for your model will fit it, guaranteed. We've got plenty in stock and ready to ship straightaway. Buy now!
No results found for "air filter". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!